Tuesday 14 January 2014

Orchard Street - The Organic Cleanse

I'm sure that some of you would remember my miserable failed attempt at a juice cleanse via "Schkinny Maninny" earlier this year.

I basically set myself up to fail, not giving up caffeine earlier and picking a 5 day cleanse, when lets face it, I was an absolute amateur when it came to cleansing, and really just in the learning stages about living a healthier lifestyle. Also, a 'slight' problem that I encountered was that I absolutely HATED the taste of the juices and soups. One, a lime green coloured soup, was particularly disgusting. The whole experience was draining, I ended up feeling sick and breaking out, finding the whole experience a massive waste of time and money.

After an overly indulgent few months and not feeling at my best, I decided to give another cleanse a try that I had seen rave reviews for.

Orchard Street -  The Organic Cleanse.
http://www.orchardstreet.com.au/

Orchard Street Cleanses are Chemical Free, Alkaline, Raw and Vegan. They use high quality medicinal plant and bush foods, wild weeds, fermented foods and super foods and are all from local and fairtrade produce. They provide naturopathic information, guidance, inspiration and constant support.

My cleanse was delivered by courier on the Thursday afternoon prior. I chose a Friday to do my cleanse as I thought it would be a fantastic way to start a healthy weekend, as well as work being a little quieter, and only booked in one day this time as I'm well aware of my limits.

It was beautifully presented and came with a little booklet with information on getting the most out of the cleanse as well as some other helpful hints and tips.


One of the other little added extras that I loved was that they came in beautiful glass packaging, avoiding that horrible BPA laden plastic. They are reusable and I have added them to my wonderful smoothie jar collection!

I woke up Friday morning excited to start my day. I got up early to go for a run and ensure I could still do some exercise that day before I got a little tired later. I sipped on my warm water and lemon on the way to work and was excited to start my "Green Guru".

I was a little nervous about the taste given my last experience, but it was delicious and filling with ingredients such as banana, and avocado. Off too a good start.

I wasn't feeling very hungry mid-morning, but gave Juice #2 a go"Tumeric Kefir". Honestly? It wasn't my favourite. The cayenne and mountain pepper flavours were strongly present and I only managed to have a few gulps. By the time "lunch" came around, I was pretty hungry! 

Juice #3 was "Green Garden"and its ingredients included kale, coriander, cucumber and mint. Some people don't like the strong flavour of kale, but I quite like it and enjoyed the juice, gulping it down.

I started to get a little tired by early afternoon, and unfortunately Juice #4 was not for me. Given I am not much of a beetroot fan, I again only managed a few gulps and had to put it away, instead opting for a herbal tea. I expected to feel quite tired, but my headache was not as bad as I had anticipated given I usually require a caffeine drip on most days.

By around 4, I was exhausted and seriously ready to just go home and lay on the lounge. The "Rosella Elixir" Juice #5 was quite light and had a strong tea flavour. I managed to get through most of it, but by this stage was a little over liquids - (I know, I know, Not a very good cleanser at all!!).

As soon as I got home, I lay on the lounge and only got up once to retrieve my final drink #6 from the fridge, the "Cashew Chai", which I absolutely adored, it was thick and creamy and settling. Almost as soon as I finished and hubby had put a movie on, I feel straight asleep until 10:30pm, stayed up another half an hour and then went back to bed and slept through the whole night.

I woke up at 5:30 the next morning for my weekly Wanda Sand Hills jaunt and literally bounded out of bed! I had so much energy and have not had such a clear head in a long time. My skin has been glowing and I still feel great almost a week later. I have felt encouraged to eat well and drink alot of water.

Overall I highly recommend Orchard Street for anyone interested in doing a cleanse. My only suggestion would be to be fully aware of what you are up against and anticipate and plan your time accordingly. If you are a novice, definitely consider doing one day to start with, just to see the different way your body might react :)

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to reach me in the comments section!



No comments:

Post a Comment